Hey all! I haven’t posted really this past week, but it has been crazy busy. Going back to work is a challenge after having an entire summer off, the joy of working in education! I am not a scientist or dietitian or doctor, but there’s some things that I know work just from experience.
So here’s my tips for getting your workout in each day during the work week!
- Track your steps. Using a FitBit or other tracker definitely helps this. The first day back with kids I reached over 16 thousand steps. By the end of the actual school day I was 500 steps away from 10 thousand steps, and I walked my dog after. Which brings me to
- Get outdoors after work! Try and go out for a little bit to do something active for a little extra time. I prefer to go walking with my dog after dinner. We go around 6 pm, and he knows that’s our time. When it hits after dinner, he sits by the door waiting for me to get his leash. An hour a day as a walk, or run if you do that, really gets you some extra steps, calories, and exercise. If you have hills in your neighborhood it makes this slight workout even better!
- DRINK WATER! You have to stay hydrated. I use a 32 oz water bottle that has other measures on it to help me keep track. Personally I would love one of the water bottles that tracks it for you, but hey we can’t all get what we want!
- Plan one activity for one day on the weekend. To get active, we have to remember that we don’t get a break on the weekend because it was a long work week. Plan something fun to get you moving on the weekend. Be it a hike, or like myself, go dancing on one evening of the weekend. Dancing can burn over 400 calories for one hour. I tend to dance for longer than an hour and those days are the days that I actually end up getting over 3,000 calories burned in day.
- Do a daily workout! I love Instagram and there are some great workout profiles I follow. Two are @BodyRockOfficial and @WorkoutPrograms. Both of these feature daily workouts! Body Rock uses the HITT model and Workout Programs have a daily workout post as a full body calisthenics. Doing a single workout a day will greatly help you stay fit, even if it is a short one. I love doing my workouts before bed. I know that’s not true for everyone, but if there is any down time in your day, you might as well fill it with something. Even doing a workout during your nightly TV shows can work well!
Those are just a few things you can do, but of course they don’t necessarily work perfectly for everyone. I just challenge you to get and stay fit during the work week, no matter how long your day seemed!